Coding Experience is a special class available only over the school holidays
In our Coding Experience class, kids will gain hands-on experience with the fundamentals of programming in a fun and interactive way. This program is a great way for kids to be introduced to the increasingly important STEM skill of programming and have fun over the school holidays! Students will be exposed to programming and coding fundamental concepts, as well as logic, mathematics, and even a bit of graphic design. Everything we do is visual, interactive, and hands-on, the best way to learn!
Students will first learn the basics, such as movement and animation, loops, if-then statements, and variables. After learning the basics, students will then be guided through a few projects to create apps and games. By the end of the class, students will get to make their very own apps and games that they can share with their friends and family. The program we use is free and students can continue using it at home, putting their creativity and new skills into practice.
In the July 2019 school holidays, the class will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 am to 1:15 pm. The dates are the 9th, 11th, 16th, and 18th of July. (If there is enough interest we may open up a Monday & Wednesday or Wednesday & Friday class.) The class is recommended for students aged 8 to 16 years old with little to no programming experience, but this may be flexible depending on the child. The cost is $200 for the class (includes four 3-hour lessons), and prepayment is required in order to reserve a spot (places are limited). Students must bring their own laptop, and a keyboard and mouse is highly recommended. Students will be provided with a class notebook and pencil. We will have a 15-minute break and light snacks will be provided, but students are welcome to bring their own snack.
- Tuesday, 9th July, 2019, 10:00 am – 1:15pm
Lesson 1 – The Basics – We will cover how to use the program and the basics of coding, including loops, if-then, and useful commands for movement and interaction in the program. Students will have the chance to create small, customizable projects.
- Thursday, 11th July, 2019, 10:00am – 1:15pm
Lesson 2 – Further Development – We will cover some further concepts in coding, including variables events, logic, and mathematics. Students will be given time to create more detailed and interactive projects.
- Tuesday, 16th July, 2019, 10:00am – 1:15pm
Lesson 3 – Exploration Projects – We will go through some guided projects which will allow us to explore more complex and in-depth applications of what we learned in lessons 1 & 2. Our projects will involve music, animation, quizzes, and more.
- Thursday, 18th July, 2019, 10:00am – 1:15pm
Lesson 4 – Advanced Projects & Games – We will go through a few guided projects where we will create our own computer games. For our last projects, students will be given an option to make their very own unique project or game, or to work on one final guided challenge project.
Contact us or fill out the form below for bookings or additional information. See below for terms & conditions.
Coding Experience Class Terms and Conditions
- The Coding Experience class must be prepaid in order to guarantee a place. Places are limited to six students per class. You will not be guaranteed a place until payment has been made in full.
- The class must be prepaid in full in order for the attendee to commence the two-week course.
- If you wish to cancel your place in the class, your payment is fully refundable only up to 7 days before the start of the course on July 9th, 2019. If your payment is made within 8 days of the start of the course, your payment will be fully refundable only within 24 hours after payment is received.
- By paying for the class, you are reserving a limited place. Refunds will not be given if you cancel your place in the class after the refund period outlined above or after the class has already commenced on July 9th, 2019. Refunds or discounts will not be given if the attendee is unable to attend all 4 class sessions on July 9th, 11th, 16th, and 18th, nor if they are unable to attend for the full time of 10:00am to 1:15pm on those dates.
- If the attendee is unable to attend the class, you may transfer your place to another person before the start of the class at 10:00 am on July 9th, 2019. After this time, places are non-transferable.
- You are responsible for bringing a laptop computer with Wi-Fi connectivity in order to participate.
- The attendee and their family who will be on our premises must abide by our standards of conduct, listed below. The first violation will result in a warning, repeated violations may result in the attendee being asked to leave the premises. If the attendee is asked to leave the premises due to violating our standards of conduct, you will not receive a refund in part or in full.
- You must not be disruptive to other attendees by creating excessive noise or distractions.
- You must respect others, including the other attendees and teachers, and must not use derogatory language or physical violence toward any person on the premises.